Zooper Doopers, ice tea, pool parties and Christmas– yes! Summer is around the corner in Australia.
While some may head south to escape the heat, others consider summer a perfect time to explore the northern areas. And if you fall in neither of the two categories, we assume you plan to spend the summer break lounging in the swimming pool. After all, nothing is more relaxing than jumping into your private pool on hot summer evenings.
Before you throw a pool party, hold on a minute– you need to shock the pool to remove pathogens from the pool water and make it safe for swimming. Since shocking requires using heavy-duty chemicals, jumping into the pool right after isn’t a good idea. Or, you may experience eye, skin and lung problems.
So, how long should you wait before taking a dip in your swimming pool after shocking it? Keep reading to know the answer.
What Does “Shocking” A Pool Mean?
There’s no denying that owning a swimming pool requires maintenance. Shocking your pool regularly is, no doubt, the best way to keep the pool water free from contaminants.
To dive a little deep, swimming pools may contain chloramines, algae, leaves, cosmetics, urine, sweat, and numerous other contaminants. Over time, these lessen the disinfection power of free chlorine levels, which causes red eyes due to stinging and irritates the respiratory system and mucosal membranes.
So, the dangers of a dirty pool are aplenty, which is why shocking it every one to two weeks is important. Essentially, you need to raise your pool’s liquid chlorine levels by adding chemicals two to five times the usual amount.
Excessive chlorine benefits a pool by eliminating chloramines, reducing stress on sanitisation and filtration.
When To Swim After Shocking Your Pool
As you already know, heavy-duty chemicals are used to shock swimming pools, so it isn’t safe to jump into the pool right away. Ideally, you must wait for at least 24 hours before diving into the pool after it has been shocked.
That’s because chlorine-based pool shock isn’t as gentle as other pool chemicals; instead, it’s very powerful, so it takes slightly longer to work. Chlorine shocks such as dichlor or cal-hypo shock raise the water’s chlorine levels above 10 PPM soon after adding it to the pool.
No doubt, such high chlorine pool concentration levels eliminate chloramines, algae and other contaminants from the pool. But even then, you must not swim in the pool water because such high chlorine levels are detrimental to human health.
On the advice of some manufacturers, you may be tempted to use the pool after about 8 hours of shocking it. However, it’s best to refrain from using the pool for 24 hours because even the slightest negligence can lead to severe health issues.
Also, you must check the pH and chlorine levels of the water to ensure your safety. Preferably, the pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8, while the chlorine level must fall between 1.0 and 4.0 PPM.
Factors That Determine How Long You Should Wait To Swim After Shocking Your Pool
1. Shock Type Used
In most cases, calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) and sodium hypochlorite are used for shocking pools. While the former is granular chlorine, the latter is the liquid form. As these are strong oxidising agents, it’s best not to enter the pool till the levels drop to 5 PPM.
2. Amount Of Shock Used
The amount of shock you use depends on various factors, such as the size of the pool and the number of contaminants present. If you use a heavier dosage of pool shock, the waiting time shall be longer than expected. However, sunlight can sometimes reduce chlorine levels, so you may be able to enter the pool sooner than you think.
3. Manufacturer’s Instructions
How long you should stay away from entering your swimming pool also depends upon the manufacturer’s instruction, whose chlorine you’ve used for shocking. Some brands use potent components in their shocker, while others may use milder ones.
If your pool shock contains powerful components, you’ll have to wait a little longer than those packed with less potent elements. So, read the manufacturer’s instructions before entering the pool.
Hold Off Swimming For Your Safety!
Shocking your pool is essential to ensure the safety of your friends and family who use it regularly.
As pool shocks contain a high chlorine level, it’s best to wait for no less than 24 hours after using them. That’s because high chlorine concentration can lead to various health issues, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
On that note, we’ve reached the end of today’s guide. Don’t forget to check the pH levels after using a pool shock for your safety.
And then, enjoy yourself!
Should you require any further information or need professional assistance with your pool, please do not hesitate to contact us. At The Pool Co, we have expert Sydney pool builders ready to assist you.